Nevada Boys State prides itself on encouraging young men to pursue education at the college level and beyond through a variety of ways. To that end, the program offers the following scholarships:
- The Romaine Roethel Scholarship is named in honor of a former President of the American Legion Auxiliary and the first female Department Adjutant in the American Legion. Romaine Roethel championed the Legion’s Child Welfare program and cared deeply about the needs of single mothers and their children. In honor of Romaine’s causes, preference is given to delegates who have faced an unusual degree of adversity in their life, live in single parent households, and plan on attending college in Nevada.
- The Oratorical Contest Scholarship is awarded to the winner of the Nevada Boys’ State Oratorical Competition. The winner is determined by a single speech given on a leadership topic that is announced at the program. Members of the American Legion judge the competition with Boys’ State staff members. Speeches should be between 4-5 minutes.*
- The Court Case Scholarship is awarded to the delegate who demonstrates mastery during the presentation of oral arguments in front of the Nevada Boys’ State Supreme Court. The competition is judged by outside attorneys who observe the proceedings and deliver their rankings to the Boys’ State staffer in charge of the court case.*
- The Samsung Scholarship is awarded every year and open to high school juniors who are a direct descendant, i.e. child, grandchild, great-grandchild or a legally adopted child, of a U.S. veteran who served during a period of war and is a delegate to either an American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program. Additional information can be found on the National Samsung Scholarship page here. The Samsung Scholarship requires an application to be completed before the program begins. The application can be found here.
- Nevada State Finalist receives $1,250
- Ten National Scholars receive $10,000 each
- Ten National Runners-Up receive $5,000 each
*Scholarships may not be awarded every year and are dependent on donations.
Nevada Boys’ State is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that has helped me grow into who I am today. The program offers an “inside look” at how our local and state governments run while allowing delegates the chance to run for office. The counseling staff creates an environment for delegates to not only thrive — but grow. You leave the program forever changed with a newfound sense of honor and duty.
Nevada Boys State was an amazing experience where I made new, diverse, lifelong friends. I wish more programs were as awesome as NBS. My personal favorite part was passing legislation in the actual House of Representatives! So cool!
Trevor GoldsmithWest Career & Technical Academy, 2016
My son attended the 2017 Program of Nevada Boys State and found the event unlike anything he had ever experienced. He loved it, and the friendships he made in the one week, will last a lifetime. We can’t thank the men of the American Legion enough. What they do for the future of these young men is priceless.
This program was truly memorable. I attended as a delegate in 2012 and was able to create and develop new friendships I keep today and skills I continue to use. I highly recommend this program for any high school junior boy who wants to learn more about how local government works and how to develop the best external and internal leadership skills. When you fully engage yourself into the program, Nevada Boys State will be one of the best weeks of your life.
I attended this program as a youth and returned as a staffer. While it is hard to communicate the benefits of this one week program, one of the easiest things to say about Boys’ State is that it is fun. You’ll learn a lot about how your state and local government work, compete against your peers and other teams and realize you can do more than you thought was possible. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is serious about making meaningful improvements to their future and life or who wants to have a fun week away from home at UNR.
The program was phenomenal. I had the time of my life in just one week and made so many friends. I feel that I am a more knowledgeable person now when it comes to politics and that I have a greater understanding of what it means to lead.
It was the greatest experience that I have ever had away from my home for more than a week. I think what you do at NBS [Nevada Boys’ State] is great and I hope it continues for a very long time.
The American Legion has done outstanding things for America’s youth through the Boys State leadership program. When I was a young boy in Searchlight, going to school in Henderson, I had never traveled out of the area except to play baseball. During my Junior year I was selected to go to Nevada Boys’ State. We went 450 miles away to Reno, and that was a big deal for me. It was an experience I will never forget, so I have a great warmness in my heart for the American Legion and for the Nevada Boys’ State.
Senator Harry ReidUS Senate