The following is a recommended list and can be adjusted according to your individual needs. Remember the Nevada Boys State program lasts seven days. It is recommended you mark your name on your items.
- The program lasts for seven days.
- It is recommended you mark your name on your items.
- It is recommended you pack your items in a single bag or suitcase that you can easily carry.
Clothes, Toiletries, etc:
- A Nevada Boys State Shirt will be provided. (You will wear this shirt for the majority of the week. City staff will wash these shirts.)
- Pants or Jeans
- Shirts for athletics and to wear under your Boys’ State shirt
- Athletic clothes, shoes (no cleats) and hat (only to be worn during daily athletics)
- Light sweatshirt or jacket (evenings can be cool)
- Pajamas/Sleeping attire
- Shaving and toiletry articles (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, deodorant, etc.)
- Face and bath towels
- Water bottle (required)
Carson City Day:
Carson City Day is an exciting culmination of the week and delegates should dress for the occasion. The dress for Carson City Day is business attire.
- Suit or sports coat/blazer with dress pants
- Collared shirt
- Tie, belt, dress shoes, appropriate socks
- Option 1: Pillow with pillowcase, two sheets, and a blanket
- Option 2: Pillow with pillowcase, and a sleeping bag
- Key chain for dorm key (required)
- Pen/pencil, paper and a 3-ring notebook
- Six standard letter postage stamps or $5.00
- Encouraged to bring a laptop and camera, but NBS assumes no responsible for damaged, lost or stolen items
- To meet university guidelines, we require a $60.00 refundable key deposit. Please bring a $60.00 check made payable to the American Legion Nevada Boys’ State or exactly $60 in cash (please no $100 bills). Your deposit will be returned when you return the key at departure. If you lose your key you will be charged a $60.00 fee to re-key the locks.
- A $20.00 University Parking Fee is required if you drive your own car.
- Spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc. ($25.00 to $75.00 is recommended).
*NBS does not assume responsibility for lost, damaged or stolen items.
Nevada Boys’ State is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that has helped me grow into who I am today. The program offers an “inside look” at how our local and state governments run while allowing delegates the chance to run for office. The counseling staff creates an environment for delegates to not only thrive — but grow. You leave the program forever changed with a newfound sense of honor and duty.
Nevada Boys State was an amazing experience where I made new, diverse, lifelong friends. I wish more programs were as awesome as NBS. My personal favorite part was passing legislation in the actual House of Representatives! So cool!
Trevor GoldsmithWest Career & Technical Academy, 2016
My son attended the 2017 Program of Nevada Boys State and found the event unlike anything he had ever experienced. He loved it, and the friendships he made in the one week, will last a lifetime. We can’t thank the men of the American Legion enough. What they do for the future of these young men is priceless.
This program was truly memorable. I attended as a delegate in 2012 and was able to create and develop new friendships I keep today and skills I continue to use. I highly recommend this program for any high school junior boy who wants to learn more about how local government works and how to develop the best external and internal leadership skills. When you fully engage yourself into the program, Nevada Boys State will be one of the best weeks of your life.
I attended this program as a youth and returned as a staffer. While it is hard to communicate the benefits of this one week program, one of the easiest things to say about Boys’ State is that it is fun. You’ll learn a lot about how your state and local government work, compete against your peers and other teams and realize you can do more than you thought was possible. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is serious about making meaningful improvements to their future and life or who wants to have a fun week away from home at UNR.
The program was phenomenal. I had the time of my life in just one week and made so many friends. I feel that I am a more knowledgeable person now when it comes to politics and that I have a greater understanding of what it means to lead.
It was the greatest experience that I have ever had away from my home for more than a week. I think what you do at NBS [Nevada Boys’ State] is great and I hope it continues for a very long time.
The American Legion has done outstanding things for America’s youth through the Boys State leadership program. When I was a young boy in Searchlight, going to school in Henderson, I had never traveled out of the area except to play baseball. During my Junior year I was selected to go to Nevada Boys’ State. We went 450 miles away to Reno, and that was a big deal for me. It was an experience I will never forget, so I have a great warmness in my heart for the American Legion and for the Nevada Boys’ State.
Senator Harry ReidUS Senate