When you attend Boys’ State, you’ll be saying taking a break from your normal life to learn new and useful skills that will be with you for the rest of your life. The environment may look strange to you–no girls and a focus on politics–but there is no better way to spend a week of your summer than at Boys’ State. It is an amazing opportunity to create lifelong friendships, have fun, and position yourself for future success.
- Dates: The 2018 Program will be June 17 to 23, 2018.
- Location: The program takes place on the University of Nevada, Reno campus.
- Travel: Transportation via charter buses is provided from Southern Nevada.
- Application Deadline: Applications are due by March 31. Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis, so you are encouraged to apply early.
- Cost: The only program cost is a $60 supply fee. (Need based waivers/grants are available.)
A Typical Day
Although there is no typical day at Nevada Boys’ State the following outline provides a general overview. Each day is unique and varies with elections, group activities, athletics, etc.
- The day begins at 8:30am with breakfast at the UNR dining hall
- General Session with motivational speaker, political figure or program explanation–all speaking presentations are designed to be engaging and include Q&A. (Past speakers include Governor Brian Sandoval, Attorney General Adam Laxalt, U.S. Senator Harry Reid, Mayor Oscar Goodman, and journalist Jon Ralston)
- Lunch at the UNR dining hall
- Afternoon session or group activity including political party caucuses, committee meeting, team building, etc.
- Athletics with three games in your NBS Team including volleyball, football, soccer and/or ultimate Frisbee.
- Dinner at the UNR dining hall
- Quiz Bowl
- Evening team building or leadership lesson